Alpha Test

I would first like to thank Christina for taking the time to test a very unfinished term project.

I gained two useful bits of information from my usability test.  The first was about searching.  When I play IF games, I usually just use the command "examine," and usually abbreviate that to just "x."  I did not think of people typing search, and consequently some of my descriptions failed to manifest themselves.  I have since incorporated that into my game for every object that I can think of.

The other thing that happened was with the timing of the game.  I had cut the timer in half to ten, because I figured that there were about half the available actions that the final version of the game would have.  That was not the problem.  Because you do not start out with zero moves, the game actually allowed the player eleven turns instead of ten.  That is something else that will be fixed for beta testing.

There is also the fact that for some reason I made my beloved robot (if that thing does not make me insane by the end of the project, it will be a miracle) scenery, negating its presence to the player.  I am glad that this testing revealed that to me so that I could fix a central element to the plot.

By the end of the class, I was able to have my robot prepared to be workable though.  The only thing that I need is the coding to make it take commands from the user, and the accursed thing will be finished until the final tests.  I also still need to program the bomb for some diffusing sequences, and add a couple of other ways for the game to end other than timing out.  All in all, though, I am satisfied with where I am at for this game.

Are others satisfied?

Daniella Choynowski said:

I've gotten so used to using "x" that I would have never thought of "search" either. You get so used to your own game than you become blind to possible glitches. The game I made in EL405 is complicated, but I've gotten to the point where I can play through it without even looking at the screen.

As for the turns issue, I've never dealt with that.

You can make the robot scenery in one scene, but if the player revisits the scene again, the robot can become active. I changed the description of one room in my game once a player did the task I needed them to.

I'm not sure if this will work, but I think it is:

[if visited a 2nd time]

or you can program the player to be "ready" and "not-ready". When the player has done something or talked to a certain people, you can type "now the player is ready" and then list the events the player unlocked.

I can explain this better in person if you would like help.

Jed Fetterman said:

Thanks, for the help. I'm just not sure how to get the robot to respond to commands.