Now it's Really Over...For Real

Don't Make Me Think finally finshed today.  I promised myself that I would not cry.  Stay strong, Jed.

Anyway, I think the last chapter was just to expand a little more on two of the points that he slightly alludes to in the body of the book.  The first is a site that asks for two much personal information, and the second is a sight with too much "pizzaz."  Krug titled his book Don't Make Me Think, but I think the more apt title would be Think About Your user.  In the middle of both letters, Krug says "...you don't mind offending them..." and "...you care more about your image than what you do to them," when explaining what it looks like when you employ these things on your site.  He even says later on in the second letter, "Think about your own experience..."

For the average person, it is hard to empathize with the user.  Often we have a tendency (like I am doing in this sentence) to project our feelings onto others.  And even when we don't have those feelings, it is hard to be certain of whether your viewpoint is correct...without usability testing.  Usability testing is pure, unadulterated user-empathy hit over your head with a baseball bat.  You understand how the user feels because the statistics are showing that without human bias.  You cannot ignore them, or put them to your own uses, because the numbers don't lie.  Usability testing leads to more empathy in website design, and I think we all like it when things are seen from our point of view.

Now, see things from others' points of view.

Andy Lonigro said:

I like your idea about this book being called "Think About Your User." I like it because it changes the point of view (not to get literary or anything). What I mean is the reason for the book is to focus on what the user wants and that's what your title does, Jed. When we take a step back and ask ourselves what we're learning this for and how we can apply it, I think we are faced with the reality that we're not always going to be perfect. Much like a work of literature is never perfect; it can always be revised further in some way. So, I feel like we're accomplished if we understand that we must always be looking for ways to further better our site. And this is acheived through viewing our site through the eyes of the user.

Alex Hull said:

I, too, love your title change. I think it more clearly reflects what the book is about. But I also see the point in the title that the book already holds. It is from the user's point of view entirely. Don't make me think! The user is the one talk, crying out. I think both titles are appropriate and interesting.

I like that you summed up the points about usability testing in your last paragraph. It can be looked at as helpful, but should be looked at as crucial. It's the only way a designer can tell how users will react to his or her site: take the site to the users and find out.

Daniella Choynowski said:

We do try and push what we feel is effective on other people.-This is why some people can't handle criticism very well. But the only way the world can grow and improve is through criticism-the old has to be challenged by the new.

Jed Fetterman said:

I just think that the current title makes it easy to place the idea on you and not the user. When you say, "Don't make me think," the emphasis is on me. Everyone thinks that me means me, not you. I just feel that the title is a little bit confusing and takes the emphasis off of what Krug really cares about.