« What is happening to me? | Main | The Tribune Review and The Associated Press Guide to News Writing »

Additional Uses for The Reporter's Notebook

I purchased The Reporter's Notebook by Mark Levin for EL227. The book contains information and exercises to help students become familiar with news writing. After looking at the suggestions for coming up with story ideas and the sample interview questions, I realized this book was a great tool for those who do not have experience with this style of writing.

In the future I plan on teaching secondary English. Often times literature is the major focus for secondary curriculums. I remember working briefly on journalism while in high school, and the topic was welcomed and enjoyable. Once I enter the classroom I plan on teaching a unit on journalism, if I have the freedom to do so. Based on this, I purchased an additional copy of The Reporter's Notebook from the bookstore. This way I will have unmarked pages to make copies of, be able to show it to a school district and suggest it for class use, and provide my students with interesting and age-level appropriate information on news writing.

Posted by JennaOBrocto at September 25, 2005 1:09 PM

EL227 has given me my first taste of journalism, so I also had the idea to incorporate news writing in my classes. Why do you think there is little focus on journalism in high school?

Posted by: Katie Lambert at September 25, 2005 7:40 PM

I think that there is less focus in high school because most High Schoolers don't know exactly what they want to be. Everything is so broad in high school, because it leaves an opportunity to find out what it is the students are looking for. College is where DEPTH comes in, and focuses mainly on one or two main concepts. That's at least my thoughts.

Posted by: Jason Pugh at September 26, 2005 1:09 PM

P.S. I found a website with questions about teaching certain material. Teachers themselves look for what to teach, and what criteria they need to follow (you of course already know that). I think that the Reporter's Notebook could help with Newswriting sources. Teaching about English, some teachers are looking for ideas. How are we supposed to know how much of a subject to teach, when we don't know how to teach a specific subject? I'm telling you, the schools are not always "with it"

By the way, the website is http://teachers.net/english/

Posted by: Jason Pugh at September 26, 2005 11:05 PM

Actually, I think the reason Katie that journalism is set on "the back-burner" is because english major primarily focus on the literary or creative writing elements. Based on our own course catolog, we (as English Education majors) are only required to complete one journalism course. Granted, other colleges may differ. But, I think that emphasis isn't placed within the PA State Standards.

In my high school, journalism was a major part of the school's extra-curricular activities. However, we were fortunate to have a professor with such an extensive knowledge about journalism. Without him, I'm not entirely sure the school's newspaper would have existed.

Posted by: Bethany at September 27, 2005 12:07 AM

I also blogged about the additional uses of The Reporters Notebook. Another coincidence is that i also want to become a secondary teacher. I find this book very useful not only for me, but like you said for your future students to refer to as they begin their writing assignments for you.

Posted by: Denamarie at September 27, 2005 6:01 PM