« The Tribune Review and WTAE-4 News: Lack of Clarity and Comprehensiveness | Main | Not knowing made me unbiased, but that didn't really help. »

My Blog Portfolio: Selected Entries and Comments

This is my first experience with blogging and journalism. I am taking EL227 at Seton Hill University, and must make a portfolio with selected blog entries. I welcome any feedback on any of my articles, and I hope you enjoy reading. I have broken my portfolio into 2 categories: Entries and Comments. Each category was then split into 7 subcategories: coverage, depth, interaction, discussions, timeliness, xenoblogging, and wildcard.

ENTRIES
Coverage: "a brief response to each assigned reading"

"The Tribune Review and WTAE-4 News: Lack of Clarity and Comprehensiveness"- The article focuses on the difference in clarity between the television news and the newspaper.

"How many ways are there to cover the same football game?"- I compared my football article to articles in the Setonian and the Communicator.

"The Tribune Review and The Associated Press Guide to News Writing"- I used information from The Associated Press Guide to Newswriting, to evaluate an article in the Tribune Review.

"Additional Uses for The Reporter's Notebook"- After reading the beginning of the book, I focused on how a high school teacher could use this book in the classroom.

"Opposing views in the Tribune Review"- A reflection on the September 20th issue of the Tribune Review.

"The aim of a journalist"- A reflection on the role of a journalist, as presented in chapters 3-6.

"Reflection on Griffin Article"- After completing the article I reflected on the difficulties I encountered.

"My First Blog"- This was the first blog I ever constructed.

Depth: "ability to engage critically"

"The Tribune Review and WTAE-4 News: Lack of Clarity and Comprehensiveness"
"The Tribune Review and The Associated Press Guide to News Writing"
"Opposing views in the Tribune Review"

"What is really important in 'A Meeting in the Dark?'"- Examination of a short story.

"Yon the Famous Blogger"- Summary and explanation about Tribune Review article. Yon is covering the war through blogging.

Interaction: "ability to use weblogs to interact with peers"
"Addition to Football Article"- The angle for covering Seton Hill football by the Tribune Review.

"What is happening to me"- A humorous look at how blogging and journalism have impacted my personal life.

"The aim of a journalist"

"World Literature in the Classroom"- Lesson ideas for the novel Things Fall Apart.

Discussions: "your blog sparked a conversation"
"Additional Uses for The Reporter's Notebook"- Using this text in the high school classroom.

"Opposing views in the Tribune Review"
"The aim of a journalist"

"Feelings on Standardized Tests"- A personal reflection after taking the PRAXIS.

"World Literature in the Classroom"

"Can too much technology be a problem"- A reflection on children and technology.

Timeliness: "written early enough it sparked good discussion"

"The aim of a journalist"

"World Literature in the Classroom"

Xenoblogging: "the work you do that helps other people’s weblogs"
"Addition to Football Article"
"Opposing views in the Tribune Review"

COMMENTS
Interaction:

"Newswriting-How to report the news" by Katie Aikins- Explores the job and expectations for a journalist.

Xenoblogging

"Tribune Review- September 20" by Mike Diezmos- Mike and I discussed the use of photography in the newspaper.

"Spot News Comparison" by Nancy Gregg- I provided information about the Tribune Review coverage of Seton Hill football.

"Hurricane Katrina and Journalists" by Ashlee Lupchinsky- Stresses the importance of making sure you get the exact quote

"Blogging" by Ashlee Lupchinsky- I expanded on why you should blog, and what you can blog about.

"Reporters Notebook" by Jason Pugh- Jay made a helpful list of terms, and I expanded on a few of them.

"Another brief reporter's reflection" by Chris Ulicne- Chris describes the difficulty in getting quotes and offers suggestions.

Enjoy!

Posted by JennaOBrocto at September 27, 2005 1:34 PM

I haven't had time to click on all the links, but this is a fantastic display of your intellectual investment in the class. Great work, Jenna.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at September 27, 2005 3:41 PM

I haven't had time to click on all the links, but this is a fantastic display of your intellectual investment in the... hey, wait a minute! That guy stole my comment!

Posted by: Michael Dell at September 29, 2005 2:24 AM