« The aim of a journalist | Main | What is happening to me? »

Opposing views in the Tribune Review

As a result of taking this course, I am more aware of how the Tribune Review includes quotes from both sides of an issue. Before when I read a paper, I probably only paid close attention to the quotes that supported my opinion of the issue, but now I realize a good unbiased article should include both sides.

I would like to talk about the article on "North Korea" and the "Man found not guilty" article, both of which are found on the front page of the September 20th edition.

In "North Korea backpedals on nuke breakthrough," quotes were included by both the U.S. State Department and the Korean Central News Agency. As American citizens we do not want other countries having nuclear weapon capabilities, so we are biased on this issue. The article did stress that North Korea was claiming to not be interested in nuclear weapons, but instead wanted the "right to nuclear activity for a peaceful purpose."

I think it was important to show both sides of the issue, and by doing this, the report is less biased and closer to strictly reporting facts.

My only problem with this article, which I mentioned in class, was my lack of reader comprehension. I think I slightly misunderstood in class. I was not complaining that the article did not interest me, but instead that I did not comprehend the information. We learned in class that a newspaper should be understandable to the general public. I once had a teacher tell me that a newspaper should be at an eighth- grade reading level. After reading this I asked several people what "atomic energy reactors" were, and no one I asked knew.

Next, I would like to mention the article "Man found not guilty in death at Derry bar." The article was about a local man who was charged with first-degree murder after a bar fight. The man was found not guilty, and the article included quotes of the man saying he was innocent; "I was innocent the whole time. I knew I was innocent."

The article also included quotes from people who were not happy with the verdict. Assistant District Attorney Judith Petrush said, "The defendant turns it into an attack. It's a full-scale attack." Hearing both sides of the story made the reporting more reliable to me as a reader.

After reading this article I thought that it would be interesting to see the differences that would be present in the article, if the man had been found guilty. This article tried to make an emotional appeal to the audience by saying the man was so happy to get back to his family, which for me created a picture of a family man.

If he would have been found guilty, would these details about his family of been included? Most likely the article would then have focused on the family of the man who was killed.

Posted by JennaOBrocto at September 21, 2005 6:43 PM

Jenna,

You're right. For the sake of clarification and reader awareness, perhaps they should do complementary pieces on some of the weapons they speak about - however, that could lead to a great scare. But still, wouldn't it be nice to know what sorts of weapons are being amassed? Kudos to you, Jenna - check out my blog - I cited you.

Katie

Posted by: Katie Aikins at September 22, 2005 10:57 AM