« Opposing views in the Tribune Review | Main | Additional Uses for The Reporter's Notebook »

What is happening to me?

As a result of this course, I have noticed a few changes in my life. I will admit that, prior to this class, the word "blog" slightly annoyed me (kind of like the word "Doppler"). I think it bothered me, because I wasn't really sure what a "blog" was. Now I find myself blogging daily. Every time something interests or annoys me, I find blogging a great way to express these feelings.

This "change" from Newswriting class, has also stretched into my personal life. Last night I was watching Entertainment Tonight, and the reporter was discussing a benefit concert for Hurricane Katrina victims. At the end of the report, the reporter said something about the performers having something else weighing on their minds: Hurricane Rita. All of a sudden this reporterís statement bothered me. That is an opinion! How does she know what the performers were thinking? Why didn't she have a performer say that?

What is happening to me?

Posted by JennaOBrocto at September 22, 2005 5:07 PM

You're becoming a Bloginator (TM).

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at September 23, 2005 9:59 AM

Why didn't she have a performer say it..probably because it's obvious. On everyone's mind, whether realize it or not, is Hurricane Rita.

Posted by: Lou Gagliardi at September 23, 2005 11:58 PM

I completely understand where you are coming from. The journalism rules are becoming etched into my head, and I find myself questioning a lot of news reports. You obviously are now doing the same thing. ;-)

Posted by: Katie Lambert at September 26, 2005 10:07 PM

Obviously the reporter was trying to make an emotional appeal to the audience. Although the audience is watching a concert with Bette Midler, Elton John, and many other talented performers it is important for the audience not to lose sight of what the concert is for: Hurricane Katrina.

It may appear obvious that the performers were worrying about Hurricane Rita, but why not have them say it?

The purpose of this blog was to shed light on a humorous situation: my newly found interest in journalism and blogging. Prior to this class, I rarely thought about these two items, but now I can't even watch television without Dr. Jerz's voice ringing in my head.

I may have wasted someone's time with the obvious, but hopefully I also brought a few smiles:)

Posted by: Jenna O'Brocto at September 26, 2005 10:37 PM