« Final Thoughts on We the Media | Main | Final Blogging Portfolio »

Emotion in the Tribune Review

I have just completed my feature article, and also looked in the Tribune Review for feature articles. I chose the story "Flags, yellow ribbons out for unit," which is about a troop that is returning to America. This is a very emotional topic. My feature article is based on an interview I had with an international student who is adjusting to living in America for the first time, which is also a very emotional topic.

When I sat down to write my article, I was not able to convey the emotion that I got from the interview itself. I think one reason is because the facial expressions, body language, and hand gestures added to the interview. I don't understand what happened between the interview and putting my thoughts down on paper.

This did not present a problem in the Tribune article. I believe the author did a good job with quote selections. It was easy to see the emotion present, which is illustrated in the following quotes:
"I just cannot wait to see his beautiful face."
"Our prayers have been answered."
"Don't you ever leave me again."
All of these quotes make the article very emotional, which I think is essential to an interesting feature story. I think the Tribune article works because it uses emotions successful, and my article fails because it lacks emotion.

Posted by JennaOBrocto at November 30, 2005 6:40 PM