« Emotion in the Tribune Review | Main | WildCard Online Source Reliability CARS Checklist »

Final Blogging Portfolio

It is hard to believe the semester is almost over. This was my last semester of classes, and I am happy I was able to take News Writing. I recently found out that I will be student teaching next semester with a Journalism teacher at Southmoreland High School. I believe taking this course was wonderful preparation for next semester. I would love to get my students blogging, which is funny because I never thought I would even have a blog. Through taking this course and reading We the Media, I have realized that blogging is not something to be afraid of. Blogging is a way to put your thoughts and feelings down on paper, as well as have your voice heard like Gillmor stressed.

In News Writing I have also learned a new style of writing. This has been a major struggle for me since I am use to writing English formal essays. I have developed an admiration for journalists because I realize the difficulty in writing news articles. I love writing arguments and supporting them, which I am able to do in English papers. In news articles, the author must try hard to not include any biased feelings.

I have also realized the difference between television and print news. Both sources have their advantages and disadvantages. Television news is less time-consuming, and contains better visuals. But, I prefer print news because I believe it is more comprehensive and thorough.

Finally, I have gained interviewing skills, that will help in all aspects of life even if I do not become a journalist. As a teacher I will have to be in contact with other teachers, parents, and students. Knowing the right ways to interview people will help me in conversations with all the people listed above.

Below is my final blogging portfolio. I have grown to see the benefits and enjoyment of blogging, and I plan to continue doing the Admissions Blog while I student teach.

COVERAGE
"demonstrates your intellectual involvement with the assigned readings"

Emotion in the Tribune Review- After reading the November 29th edition of the Tribune Review, I reflected on the effectiveness of emotional writing in feature articles.

Final Thoughts on We the Media- After finishing We the Media, I discussed Gillmor's discussion of copyright. I also provided my final thoughts on the assigned reading.

Chapter 8, 9, & 10- For these three chapters I focused on the information provided about the way pictures can be altered or distorted.

Everyone wants to Blog- I thought it was interesting how Gillmor gave examples of journalists who have got in trouble for creating personal blogs. I included why I think they should and should not be allowed to have personal blogs.

New Journalism- After beginning to read We the Media, I focused on how new technology is making it possible for the audience to have more of a voice in the area of news.

Blogs make the world a happy place- I created this blog for my informal presentation. I thought it was an extremely interesting section, because it focused on how beneficial blogs can be. When large corporations have blogs, the consumers are able to see more of the personality behind a company.

DEPTH
"should demonstrate your ability to examine a concept in depth"

Final Thoughts on We the Media

New Journalism

Blogs make the world a happy place

INTERACTION
"demonstrate your ability to use weblogs to interact with your peers"

Blogs make the world a happy place

DISCUSSIONS
"demonstrate that your blog sparked a conversation"

Blogs make the world a happy place

TIMELINESS
"written early enough that it sparked a good online discussion"

Emotion in the Tribune Review

Blogs make the world a happy place

Xenoblogging
"the work that you do that helps other people's weblogs"

Print Journalism vs Online Journalism by Ashlee Lupchinsky- This has been an ongoing debate in the classroom. I received a checklist on ways to measure reliability of online sources, so I included a summary of the list.

Short Biography of Dan Gillmor by Katie Lambert- I commented to compliment Katie on taking the initiative to look more into the life of Gillmor. By knowing more about the author, you also learn more about the book itself.

Presentation Reflection- After Leslie posted a commented about my presentation, I visited her site. I realized that she put a great deal of effort into her blog entries, and I complimented her thoroughness.

Wildcard
"one blog entry on any subject"

The CARS Checklist- After numerous class discussions and reading Ashlee's blog, I summarized a checklist of ways to determine whether an online source is reliable.

I am very happy that I took this class, and I thank all my peers for a great semester. Good luck in the future!

Posted by JennaOBrocto at November 30, 2005 7:27 PM

I can't believe it's the last Blog Portfolio. I promised myself I wasn't going to cry. But how will I continue without your blog? What, am I supposed to just post sarcastic comments to complete strangers? It's times like these I wish I never quit drinking. Oh, Blog Portfolio, I hardly knew ye. Godspeed, my friend. You'll be missed.

"Mem’ries,
Like the corners of my mind,
Misty water-colored memories,
Of the way we were..."

Posted by: Michael Dell at December 2, 2005 3:08 AM