« Now This is Something I Understand | Main | What Goes UP Must Come Down »

How True

To be fair, many people who couldn't punctuate their way out of a paper bag are still interested in the way punctuation can alter the sense of a string of words.

Truss, Eats, Shoots and Leaves -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

I'd like to think that I'm pretty good at dealing with punctuation, but I know I'm not perfect at it. Take "it's" and "its," for example. I know the difference between the two, but I still sometimes have to stop and think about which one is correct in a given situation. I'm definitely not a stickler like Truss is. However, I did find it interesting how the placement and usage of punctuation can have such a great effect on the meaning. I will admit that I just about laughed when I read the two versions of the "Dear Jack" letter (I'm a dork...I know). It is amazing how the punctuation changed the meaning to such a great extent that the two different versions meant two completely opposite things. Truss definitely had a way of making a relatively boring subject interesting.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on March 18, 2007 6:10 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Now This is Something I Understand.

The next post in this blog is What Goes UP Must Come Down.