« What's in a Name? | Main | Identity Crisis »

The Fate Cycle

"In the early chapters of the novel, however, it is Norton who shapes the fate of the protagonist."
~page 82 of Christopher Hanlon's "Eloquence and Invisible Man"

It is interesting how much Mr. Norton does shape the protagonist's fate when Mr. Norton keeps insisting that his own fate is tied to the protagonist. I never thought of this connection until reading the article. It didn't make sense why Mr. Norton thought his fate was directly linked to the protagonist's before because I hadn't made this link. I think it all comes down to the fact that since Mr. Norton does influence his fate so much, the success or failure of the protagonist does in some way go back to Norton. It is because of the events with Norton that invisible man is expelled from college. If he had stayed in school, he would never have been involved with the Brotherhood. He would be a completely different person. The protagonist's success is linked to Norton's fate because Norton shaped the protagonist's fate.

Nikita McClellan:

I do argee that Norton had an influence on the narrator. But how much? I don't think he had so much.I feel that Dr. Bledsoe had to most influence on the narrator. Had he not expelled the narrator, the narrator would not have even been in New York at all. It was Bledsoe who made the fate of the narrator.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on April 5, 2009 2:47 PM.

The previous post in this blog was What's in a Name?.

The next post in this blog is Identity Crisis.