« Dealing with the Lead | Main | So What? »

Brevity is Key

The points made in chapter 4 of Cappon's The Associated Press Guide to News Writing make sense. If someone is reading an article full of long sentences, and that person isn't accustomed to it, the meaning can get lost. Also, it seems like the key to news writing is to keep everything brief so that more information is conveyed in less space. Keeping sentences shorter also cuts out unnecessary words, as Cappon points out. Like many things, though, I think this is easier said than done. We just need to watch out for this when revising. We may not always catch it while we're writing.

Other Thoughts On Chapter 4

Greta Carroll:

Yes, I definitely agree with you, keeping things short is definitely easier said than done. Granted, I think some people are predisposed to write in a more succinct fashion (and I am not one of those people), but even these people must take a second look at how important the words in their sentences are. People aren’t reading a news article to be impressed by the literariness of it, but instead to get information. Keeping things brief is certainly going to be a challenge for me. I think a lot of keeping things short is based on one’s ability to prioritize what is truly important to the story and what is simply extraneous detail. The problem with this is that what I consider to be most important may be different than the people intimately involved with or who are reading the article.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on September 17, 2009 2:05 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Dealing with the Lead.

The next post in this blog is So What?.