« Brevity is Key | Main | News Writing Portfolio 1 »

So What?

When reading Joe Grimm's article How to pitch a story, I thought back to the point that is drilled in the literary study courses I've taken. When writing a thesis, we need to answer the "so what" question. Why should the reader be interested in what you have to write? I guess the same thing goes for story pitches. We need to give a reason for why this story is important--why it should be written--why anyone would be interested in reading it. If all we give is a topic, well then, so what? If we give an idea, then we're getting somewhere.

Other Thoughts On Grimm's Article

Josie Rush:

Good connection, Jennifer. It's important to grab the reader's attention quickly. Tell them why they're bothering in the first place. Personally, I want to know that I'm not wasting my time, right off the bat.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on September 17, 2009 2:18 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Brevity is Key.

The next post in this blog is News Writing Portfolio 1.