« The Scarlet Letter Is Taking Over | Main | Delayed Subject »

The Need To Be Concise

It seemed that the main idea to take away from chapters one and two of Cappon's The Associated Press Guide to News Writing was that writers need to be concise when writing news articles. I know the previous sentence here is a perfect example of what not to do. Anyways, while I know this point is crucial to News Writing, since only so much space is available, it isn't the only form of writing this affects. When it really comes down to it, I think all forms of writing have this rule. Concise sentences convey the meaning much better and are less clunky.

Other Thoughts on Cappon Chapters 1&2

Jessie Krehlik:

I agree. I always find myself revising my sentences one-by-one to eliminate wordiness. It sucks, but any kind of writing turns out so much better when you get rid of all those extra words that are really unnecessary.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on September 7, 2009 9:01 PM.

The previous post in this blog was The Scarlet Letter Is Taking Over.

The next post in this blog is Delayed Subject.