« Temporary Longing | Main | Horse on the Tracks »

Different Kinds of Faith

"I never spoke with God,
Nor visited in heaven;
Yet certain am I of the spot
As if the chart were given."
~lines 5-8 of Emily Dickinson's "I never saw a moor"

It seems as if this entire poem, even the first part about the sea references, is all about faith. The narrator does not have to have actually seen or had any physical affiliation with anything referenced in the poem to believe that they are there and have her own opinion on what they look like, what they are, and where they are, even. It's interesting how this poem did not just include religious references to get this across. The references are there, but those don't make up the entire poem. I guess this is a way to show that faith can extend beyond what most people affiliate it with.

Other Thoughts on Emily Dickinson's Poetry

Jeremy Barrick:

I agree, but disagree with your comment. I think it is more on the lines of souls searching. The narrator has no proof of God's existence so how can it be? I feel that it is another battle between religion and science.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on October 4, 2009 8:47 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Temporary Longing.

The next post in this blog is Horse on the Tracks.