DuBois

In answer to this, it has been claimed that the Negro can survive only through submission. Mr. Washington distinctly asks that black people give up, at least for the present, three things,-- First, political power, second, insistence on civil rights, third, higher education of Negro youth,-- (DuBois)

DuBois's argument against Washington's teachings did surprise me, I had never read much about DuBois before this class.  He poses his arguements eloquently and thoughtfully.  He does not sound as though he is attacking Washington, though its quite evident that he is being quite critical.  As I read Washington I did not sense that he was timid, or weak as he stated his views but I did have enormous respect for the way he spoke of his hope for an eventual harmony between the races despite any personal feelings he may have had he was most worried about the greater good of the future of the races.  DuBois however has a bitterness about him that is not masked or diluted in any way.  Its difficult to critique men who've had to fight so fiercely to be respected, listened to and allowed to live with dignity as much as DuBois and Washington had to in their time.  I have great respect for both of them for their dedication and courage.