« EL-336. Trithemius. Scribed to the Press. | Main | EL-336. Brookfield. Learning Words »

EL-336 Baron. The Art and Science of Handwriting

"By the middle of the nineteenth century, handwriting moved from an art to a science. No longer was handwriting simply a mechanical skill. Instead, it was seen as involving both mind and body., "an active process in which the souls was uplifted and the body disciplined. Victorians were to form their letters as they formed themselves, through moral self-elevation and physical self-control." (p.58-59 Baron)
I guess I have been living in the Dark Ages. I never knew that handwriting was taken so seriously. To involve the body and mind? I guess what I'm trying to say is: I don't do it well, so I have ignored it and let technology replace it.
When I was young, we didn't have the technology like we do today. Handwriting was the primary source of writing papers and letters. Chalk also replaced the pen/pencil in some situations, but none the less, it was still handwriting. Writing in cursive was seen as an evolvement from basic printing. That took skill to master well. What technology did for writing, it eliminated the art, the tedious process, and carpal tunnel syndrome.
A quick reminisce- I majored in Drafting while in high school. We had to learn how to write mechanically. That one lesson in drafting was one of the toughest aspects of the subject that I ever had to learn.
So, I guess that handwriting is important, if one wants to be taken serious. Sloppy writing just doesn't cut it. Those who are hurried with their writing says something about their personalities; whereas those who are careful and take their time are different.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tbasiut8dsfh.cgi/12747

Now you can use technology to create cursive and any other kind of calligraphy and lettering designs.

my handwriting is that of a sixth grader's, but it's perfectly legible for note-taking, which is all I really hand write, aside from interviews.

I just don't see how cursive is faster than printing. Yes, I know you don't have to lift your pencil up as often, but all those loops take extra time. But there is something to be said for the artistic aspect of cursive. It does look more ornamental, suitable for greeting cards and personal letters. But cursive isn't seen as professional anymore. I remember back in high school when the teachers, on rare occassion, asked us to hand in hand written assignments. They all said "no cursive."

For my future profession(s), I won't be doing any drawing or handwriting, so I think my penmanship is adequate.

I suppose allowing time to write in a clean and professional manner forces one to reflect and observe their own thoughts as, and therefore they develope more fluid thoughts.