« EL-336. Calvino, Not All Italians are Mobsters | Main | EL-336. McLuhan (180-263). Sitting, waiting, and Willing »

EL-336. McLuhan (91-180). Weght Lifting is for Barbarians

"Media which emphasize time are those which are durable in character such as parchment, clay, and stone....Media which emphasize space are apt to be less durable and light in character such as papyrus and paper." (Innis, p.115)

Things that are concrete will preserve time. Words could be written and saved on objects that would forever stay and not fade away. Paper and papyrus, on the other hand,are able to be trashed and thrown away, as light objects, they serve no purpose other than taking up space. I feel otherwise about this comment. Without paper, there would be no manuscript or printed book. How is it possible to write a complete novel on a stone? You would have to carry 200 rocks around with print on them. During the early centuries, it was feasible to write on concrete items, as that was all there was around. Technology, as I stress it, has made it possible to have something a little more less weight and easier to write on. It lightened the load for journalists and writers alike.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tbasiut8dsfh.cgi/13275

Yes, technology enables us to operate at a much quicker, more efficient pace. Society demands levels of progress, and technology aids us in reaching higher rates of production/information etc.

Yes, the media does not passively transport content. It influences and shapes content and perception.

Just imagine if nobody ever thought, "Hey, there must be an easier way to do this whole writing thing."

I give credit to he who started writing on animal skins, and he who created the first sheet of paper. Like writing, those are technologies we take for granted.

Paper and papyrus can disintegrate. I just saw a movie where the papyrus was destryoed with vinegar. Thank god for that Rosetta stone.

I don't know how much truth there is to this, but I remember on the Disney's Hercules cartoon that the students all carried around stone tablets. Was that the ancient equivalent of the notebook? I also remember that they wrote on vaises in the cartoon.

Paper does make it easier for us to carry around writing material. But it can be easily destroyed. I have noticed that acid-free paper is now being manufactured, which ensures a longer shelf life.

(If I may compare a photograph to information):

my parents' wedding photographs are disintegrating and yellowing because of the acid. It is a shame that technology took until my lifetime to find a better way of preserving photographs and other print information. We've lost so much.