« EL-336 Response to Baio's Blog Entry | Main | EL-336 Magic Kingdom »

EL-336; Kirschenbaum-Text Messaging

"The fundamental problem of communication is that of reproducing at one point either exactly or approximately a message selected at another point." (Shannon p,213)
So the message, if it is proven moreso than abstract, the less information it gives? The more defined a text is, the less it will be in the future. Does this mean that a message is defined for the period it was written in? Once discovered, many light years from the original point, does the meaning loose its values? I was somewhat confused about all of this. I thought the text was a solid foundation built to preserve its meaning. What I'm trying to say is; if somebody finds a cellular phone of mine, twenty years from now, they will be able to look in the 'in' box and discover who I was through my text messages that were saved.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tb-awoisdlkfj.cgi/13776

Relevancy is key. Maybe the document will cease to be useful in the future. But, maybe what Kirshenbaum was geeting at was a little more Aristotlian. Everything that is not the original is a step away from the truth, getting more and more dilluted.

Needless to say, I doubt we will be operationg cell phones in 20 years. Technology will probably have progressed past text messaging. It will have become obsolete and people will not know who to use it. The text, because it is stored in a machine that is tiem-sensative, can only have so much life.

A book, while certainly not permanent, stands as a backup to a backup. People will always be able to read words, but they will not necessarily always know how to operate a reading machine.

wow, some of that's going in my paper

Daniella raises an interesting point of books, the permanence the follows this technology throughout history. Also, technology advances faster than we have to time to analyze and explore specific sections of a new product.