« EL 266-Thoreau Ch. 2&4 I hear, but cannot speak of it | Main | EL 266 Thoreau Ch. 13 & 18 Water as a human means to an end »

EL 266 Foster Ch. 13-15 Flight for fantasy

"No doubt about it, airplanes and blimps and helicopters and autogiros have changed the way we perceive flight, but for almost all of human history, we've been earthbound." (Foster) p.125

I would have to say that Foster does have a valid point. When I hear the mention of an airplane, a kite, or parachute, I think of flight. But when I hear or read the words: superhero or angel, I think of fantasy. Society has set the standards for what terms are these certain ways, fact or fiction.
In literature, flight can take on so many more definitions. They can be metaphors or symbols for something else. They can also represent dreams.
Using flight leads the reader to use their imagination. To create a world or environment that we are not normally absorbed into.