« EL 266 Poe-Silence; living a double life | Main | EL 266 Foster Ch. 18,19,20 Drown, dead, rebirth »

EL 266 Emily Dickinson-The garden weeps due to no water

"I have not told my garden yet,
Lest that should conquer me;" (Dickinson) [VIII] I have not told my garden yet

I think that Dickinson makes the garden she refers to as her friend that she has not told a secret to. She does not go into the streets to tell others for she has not told the garden yet. She would feel shamed to do so. If she did tell the garden, it may stop growing. Just like humans talking to plants in order for them to grow. The poem has an emotional attitude to it. She is embracing nature as Thoreau had in Walden.
Again, I see the same theme pop up in Perhaps you'd like to buy a flower? Dickinson, I feel, is trying to say that we only have so much time on earth until we pass. For a short while, the narrator will lend an open ear until the next bloom, which is the daffodil. The thawing of winter entering into spring. Dickinson is comparing her life to nature by using metaphors.

You could almost go so far as to say that Dickinson is comparing women to nature in "Perhaps you'd like to buy a flower." Oftentimes we see the reference to flowers and women, so why not here as well?

I took interest in the same section in my blog. I thought maybe perhaps Dickinson's mortality was shoved in her face and she could not speak of it yet, even to her closest companions in nature. Death is very personal and maybe at this point too personal to even speak to nature.