« EL 266 Portfolio Three-Coverage | Main | EL 266-Portfolio Three- Interaction »

EL 266-Depth

Taking an American Literature course, I found it necessary to not only read a text in detail, but do outside research as well. The following texts are ones I researched outside of the text.
In the case of folklore, I only recognized John Henry from when I was young in music class. I remember singing the ballad. I hadn't a clue that it was also recognized as a short story about a folk hero.
Two other men stand out in unfamiliarity, Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. Du Bois. I researched them because I do not recall much information about the two. All I knew was from elementary school, and that was a long time ago. Refreshing my memory really re-educated me on the affects that African Americans had in the 19th Century on literature and culture.
Now that I am familiar with important pieces of 19th Century literature and the authors who wrote such strong language in their poems and novels, I am more fascinated with learning more about that era.