« EL 250 MYSTified | Main | EL 250 Living in a culture all our own »

EL 250 I got Pac Man fever

A simple game, but yet challenging. Pac Man is about survival. Think of the game in the first person point of view. You are the hunted being chased by scavengers. The only way to stay alive is to eat the dots, for nutrition, and the power-ups to reverse the action and hunt the huntees. Pac Man can be theorized as man vs. man or man vs. wild. Pac Man, being a basic game, has really outlived other video games.

I find interesting how, as you said, Pac Man is such a basic game, but we can get so much context out of it. It makes me what else we can find life's meaning in?

I never realized that the age old question of the meaning of life would be presented through video games. It definitely makes you wonder.

Pac Man has outlived other video games. I have never looked at the game through man vs. man or man vs. wild. I like the idea of looking at the game that way.

Before reading the lecture, I never thought of Pac Man this way. It's pretty incredible. And even now, I probably wouldn't have thought of humanizing Pac Man if I hadn't read your entry, Jeremy. So thank you, it's a very useful insight to think of the conflict of this game in terms of man vs. man and man vs. wild. Very insightful!