Disappointment in the Characters, but not the novel.

"So after all our hard work and trouble this escape'll go off perfectly flat" (299).

After the passage when Tom kept delaying the rescue, I experienced a good amount of annoyance towards him.  He went back to playing the same role as he did when we saw him in the beginning.  This passgage caused other characters to regress as well.  Huck returned to the follower position and Jim lost all his power he gained on the river.  I began to be disappointed in Huck as he, along with Tom, forgot Jim was a human being.  Even so, Huck still did show a few signs of hope, but Tom lost his chance when the reader finds out he knew Jim was free all along.  This frustrated me at first because I got the sense that this whole journey was just a product of Tom's scheme.  This may be true, but so many issues were addressed on the journey down the river.  That is why I was impressed with this novel.  Slavery is just one of the moral issues included.  It also leaves the reader questioning a lot, such as: the main focus of the novel, how much did Huck actually learn and grow on his journey, etc. one last side note: Huck never truly stood up for himself publicy, especially with Tom which caused disappointment, but he did in fact consistently stand against the true antagonist: a corupt society. 

Sarah Durham said:

It was like all of the growth that the characters had during the story was gone. Like all of the work and development and power they had meant nothing. I so wanted Huck to just once stand up for himself to Tom and truly let it be his story. I know Dr. Jerz said in class that Huck was a little better off because he wrote the book of his story and Tom's book was written about him, but what difference does it make if Huck's story is just, like you said, "part of Tom's scheme."

Jessica Pierce said:

I also found myself annoyed with Tom's antics. He did make the story interesting, though. And, his behavior was kind of expected of him. He lives in a boyish fantasy world where books and observations shape his actions.

As for Huck, he did usually stay true to his morals, even if he did not stand up for himself. After all, that is all that matters.