Huckleberry Finn, a means for scoial reformation today.

"who actively opposed slavery, frequently regarded blacks as inherently inferior" (357).

This quote immediately reminded me of Uncle Tom's Cabin.  This message was instilled in that reading as well by having the cousin from the north, who did not own a slave, look to the blacks a a "subhuman".  Twain, by having Jim technically free the entire novel wanted to make a point that Jim was not fleeing from "legal bondage" , but from the "cruelties of this civilization".  Smith made this point and I happen to agree with him.  Even today we continue to be "constrained by social relations to other people".  We will always find something or someone to play the part of the "inferior negro".  Those who do not recognize the reality of this are the ones who "remain confused about Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and those who do not act on this will "remain committed to both racial discourse and a self-deluding optimism". Therefore, I feel this novel is still serving as a means for social reformation today. 

"Jim clearly possesses a subtlety and intelligence which the "negro" allegedly lacks."

I always looked at Jim much more than an ignorant "negro" trying to flee the bondage of slavery. I like that Smith celebrated his depth as a character and showed how Jim added to this novel.  With this said, I have to take the stance that Jim was not used as to "merely reiterate cliches".