"Oz has never been civilized".

I really enjoyed getting the chance to read the text of the Wizard of Oz. I grew up on the movie but a text can open up your eyes to many other aspects of a story and its messages. I tried throughout to not focus on the comparison of the two, but on what the text was trying to tell me. The images of the movie obviously flooded my mind with each scene, but like i said I enjoyed reading this familiar story rather than watching the same film.  The author did an awesome job writing a magical story filled with lessons for kids, but I tried to see what he was telling about the time period which he wrote this story in.

Oz was described as a beautiful and magnificent place, but yet "Oz has never been civilized". Dorothy's town, which was civilization, was gloomy and gray. This reminded me of Huckleberry Finn and how Huck was running away from civilization. IN my opinion, this was the author's way of expressing himself and how he thought about parts of society.  He did this also by introducing the idea of "bondage" and "slavery" throughout the whole text.  The fact that the first good witch was from the North jumped out, but the good witch from the South confused me. I wonder why the author chose East and West for the evil?   

I took interest in how the author chose to make it obvious through the text that the three characters, the scarecrow, the lion, and the tin man, in fact displayed the very things they thought they lacked.  In every situation or obstacle, the lion was the one who showed courage and the scarecrow showed wisdom and logic.  The tin man even showed compassion, which comes from the heart.  This created a clear message for the readers.  I do not remember it being this way in the movie, but I could be mistaken.  

"But once I had brains, and a heart also; so, having tried them both, I should much rather have a heart." The author I feel was trying to emphasize that we need both. We talked a lot about the battle betweeen arts and technology (information) or feeelings vs facts. But, a "fool would not know what to do with a heart" and "brains do not make one happpy".  Therefore, you are powerless without both.

This text has so much to offer its readers and I am glad I got the chance to read what I have seen all these years! I could blog about more, but I will leave it for the classroom discussion!

Gladys Mares said:

I asked the question in my blog about what were the purposes of certain colors and directions (East, West...) and I came up with the conclusion that he was trying to make points about his society. You brought up something that I never really thought about, slavery and bondage. Thats an interesting point.

Jessica Pierce said:

I felt the same way! Re-reading the story again, I made so many more connections than I did previously. Good connection with running away from civilization and Huckleberry Finn. You could also connect it to the Scarlet Letter, and her withdrawal from civilization for a short time. Or, even Young Goodman Brown's withdrawal after the spectacle in the woods. It's all about the connections...