Third and Final Portfolio

This is the third and final portfolio for my American Literature class at Seton Hill University.  There are many links that take you to my blogs on specific readings assigned for this portion of the class.

Coverage- Here are all of the links to the blogs that discuss my responses to the assigned readings.

How to Read Literature Like a Professor- Foster chapters 23 and 24

Foster, How to Read Literature... (Envoi)

Huckleberry Finn (finish)

Mallioux, ''The Bad-Boy Boom'' (pp. 43-50)

Scott, Kevin Michael '''There's More Honor': Reinterpreting Tom and the Evasion in Huckleberry Finn''

Smith, D.L.''Huck, Jim, and American Racial Discourse'' (pp. 356-369)

Traditional, "John Henry" (late 19th C)

Washington, ''Address of Booker T. Washington...'' (1895

Du Bois, ''The Souls of Black Folk'' (selections) (1903)

The Wizard of Oz

Depth-The following blogs I felt I had gone into depth with and could have easily sparked a discussion

Scott, Kevin Michael '''There's More Honor': Reinterpreting Tom and the Evasion in Huckleberry Finn'' -I discussed why I thought it was smart on Twain's part to bring Tom back for the end and went into detail on how the article I read changed my whole perspective on the character of Tom and his "honor". 

Huckleberry Finn (finish)- I not only shared my reaction to the novel as a whole, I went into some character analysis and discussed questions that the novel raised for me

Traditional, "John Henry" (late 19th C)
-A few questions were asked to be addressed and I feel I went beyond the minimum requirement to answer each.  Also, I brought up many points in my comparison between the two songs.

-I highlighted many aspects of Washington's argument that stood out to me. 

-I brought up valid points to defend Washington.

The Wizard of Oz
-I not only stated my initial response to reading the text instead of the movie, I began a short analysis of the text itself.  While I included a few comparisons, I tried to focus on what the text had to tell us as readers.  

Interaction-These are the comments I left on my Peers Blogs.

Response to Jeremy Barrick's comment on the end of Huck Finn

Response to Katie Lantz's comment on the Bad Boy Boom

Response to Katie Lantz's comment on Scott's article

Response to Meagan Gemperlein's comment on Smith's article

Response to Heather Mourick's comment on John Henry

Response to Jeremy Barrick's comment on John Henry

Response to Heather Mourick's comment on The Wizard of Oz

Discussion-These are the few blogs that I felt sparked a discussion, either on the website or in class, especially when we broke into groups.

Huckleberry Finn (finish)- I proposed a few questions that the novel raised for me as a reader which is always a good way to receive feedback. 

-This started a short discussion in class on how society continuously blames outside sources for problems

-My claims started a small debate in the classroom about the role of Tom in the novel.

Traditional, "John Henry" (late 19th C)
-My points were brought up in the midst of a discussion on what issues this story addressing.

-This started a great discussion in class on how his views differed from Washington and also the reasons why. Also, three people commented on how they agreed that Du Bois's attack was unfair.

The Wizard of Oz 

Timeliness-All of my entries were written before the deadline, but these were the few (because of the time they were written) peers responded to.

How to Read Literature Like a Professor- Foster chapters 23 and 24.

Huckleberry Finn (finish)-
-This blog and the one below was written early enough to have multiple people respond.

Mallioux, ''The Bad-Boy Boom'' (pp. 43-50)multiple

-This prompt response allowed three people to respond. 

Traditional, "John Henry" (late 19th C)

The Wizard of Oz -This one was written especially early as it was done over Thanksgiving break.  

Xenoblogging-The following entries are responses to my peer's blogs that I felt gave a little bit of insight to the owner of the original entry..

-I gave some insight on Tom's role in the end of the novel and how it affected the characters around him.

-I gave Katie some feedback to her question "was he really such a bad role model?"

-She was having a hard time accepting the fact that Tom was brought into the novel to do good, so I restated some of my reactions to the article in order to help her look at the article from another angle.  This sparked someone else to respond after me as well.

-She did not see how his story was social commentary so I added to Jeremy's comments to help her see how it was in fact an example of this.  Also, I added my thoughts on why it is too simple to merely say it was a story of both race and technology.

-Both Jeremy and Meagan felt racism did not play a role in the story of John Henry so I stated my reasoning for disagreeing with them.

-I left her with a question "what else was the author trying to tell us with this text?", which should always be addressed when tackling a literary work.

Wild card-Health Care in the US