I am an Invisible Man

"And my problem was that I always tried to go in everyone's way but my own. I have also been called one thing and then another while no one really wished to hear what I called myself. So after years of trying to adopt the opinions of others I finally rebelled. I am an invisible man." (Page 573)

When I first read this quote in the epilogue I took it to mean that the narrator made himself invisible and not the characters around him.  The narrator has allowed his identity to be limited by the social expectations and others because of their prejudices toward other people.  He simply followed the Brotherhood without developing his own opinions and thoughts and making himself a unique individual.  In the epilogue, we learn that the narrator has learned about his own identity and that if he wants to be free and no longer wants to be invisible, he must simply be himself, not what others want him to be.  Rinehart is a character we see that has many different identities.  He is the one who tells the narrator how he can vary his personality.  He is not the best example of this though because he is not genuine.  

Even though the narrator still claims to be an invisible man, it is a different type of invisible than he alluded to at the beginning of the novel.  At the beginning he claimed others could not see him, but now he understands that his invisibility is inside of himself and is really there even if no one else sees it.  As long as he knows it is there it is not that important if others do not see it.

Back to Class Site