- flesh out the rest of the basic links on the pages.
- add a "view more" at the bottom of the page.
- add a youtube video view--one for the main story as well?
- add audio player--in case we want to put online exclusive full-length interviews.
- landscape orientation changes to split screen mode--different interface
- linking this style sheet to the existing setonian online? (final objective)
- view more link
- landscape orientation
- linking stylesheet to setonian online
For EL 405: New Media Projects, we spent the last month revising our scratch, inform 7 and html projects. Below are links to each individual portfolio for these projects.
For my final project, I plan to expand on the Setonian App. Hopefully, I'll be able to generate a better masthead, a better horizontal navigation bar and possibly add youtube-viewing pages.
In my usability test, you can see that the user doesn't have too much trouble navigating through my pages. Her biggest issues was the fact that a lot of my pages do not exist yet--they're simply there for decoration. One of the things I did fix, however was the window in the ipad. During her test, when I rotated to landscape view, the page took up more space than the display offered. Dr. Jerz gave us some new code to fix this issue.
One of my biggest changes this time around, however was my adding of photos to the design. I replaced the fake "frog" story with a legit story that was written for the setonian last issue. I made the picture, headline and description linkable. The only issue I had with this is the fact that chevrons appear on all three sections, when realy only need them for one. The same "main" story is found on the news, a&e and home pages.
In my mock-up, I envisioned thumbnail pictures next to the stories that included photos. Although I didn't include this the first time around, I added it in my revision. In the 5 greatest ipad cases article, you'll see that I formated several photos to fit in the text, to allow for stories with mutliple photos.
Check out my revision video to understand all of the change I implemented.
I plan to use this project as my final project as well.
For my second project in EL 405, I designed a murder mystery game. During my initial usability test, I found plenty of issues to resolve. Initally, I only had two endings, both losses. So, as part of my revision, I created a win scenario.
My user made a comment about contaminating evidence as well, so I created gloves to prevent evidence contamination.
During my screencast usability test, I learned a lot about my game. I'd already implemented some changes, but needed to trouble shoot them. I coded the game to prompt a loss if the player picked up any objects without wearing the gloves. However,I never told the player in my text that she needed to wear gloves. Thus, she expressed frustration when the game ended before she could do anything.
To fix this issue, I set the game up to warn the player once before ending the game. I also prevented the player from leaving the room without wearing the gloves. That way, even if the other clues aren't big enough hints, eventually he'll have to check his inventory and will hopefully put on the gloves.
Another issue I ran into during my second usability test was the lack of direction for the player. I gave her full reign to travel throughout the map without concequence (aside from losing after a select number of turns). To create a more linear game, I set up a few puzzles on the bottom level to explain some of the functionality of the game. The player didn't understand that she needed to give clues to her partner, so I added some descriptions suggesting that the player try showing evidence to the player.
In my revision, I talk about these issues, as well as a few others. Namely, I discuss the way in which I coded the "partner-mood" to prompt the win. In order to win, the player must give a certain amount of clues in succession to the partner to improve the partner's mood. Giving a non-clue moves the partner-mood in a negative diretion.
Aside from these revisions, I fixed some typos and also some room descriptions that mentioned directions to additional rooms that I never had the chance to actually code.
My screencast revisions are separated into two videos for viewing: