Hidden Information Can Cause Complications...Krug9-11

Some sites hide pricing information in hopes of getting users so far into the process that they'll feel vested in it by the time they experience the "sticker shock." My favorite example is Web sites for wireless access in public places like airports..."

--Krug

This section of the book sort of clicked with me. Probably one of the most annoying thing for me is when I can't find what I'm looking for on a website. For example, just the other day, I visited the Apple website to check the prices for the new MacBooks. Usually, I visit the Education store, but in this instant, I couldn't find it. Anywhere. It was like the link just vanished. There used to be a huge icon in the center of the page that read "Education Store," but that was during back-to-school season. I guess it makes sense that they would want to draw attention to it during this time. But now, the link is significantly smaller and on the sidebar, a place that I completely overlooked. I did eventually find it, but it took way too much thinking.

Another comment I would like to make involves the quote I chose for this blog. As I've mentioned several times, I work at Staples.During my lunch breaks, I sometimes like to surf the web on my iPhone. (un)Fortunately, Staples offers free Wi-Fi. Once a user opens a new webpage, she is prompted with a message about the Wi-Fi and cannot use the internet connection until they scroll to the bottom of the page and click "I accept." While this is a pain for me, the worst part is that staples makes you do it every time. So, in some cases, it's just easier for me to use my iPhone's internet rather than Staples. I guess the point that I'm tyring to make is that, while it's important to share their private policy, once should be more than enough. Nobody ever reads it anyway...

Nobody ever reads it anyway...this phrase is so common on the internet. How many times have we installed a program and simply pressed "i accept" instead of reading the terms and conditions. So, I beg the question, why even bother? All those boxes of information do is cause people to think, but most of the time, people refuse to think anything more than, "how do I bypass reading all of this?"

What's everyone else think of Krug's book?

Jed Fetterman said:

I think that they assume that you are going to read the full thing if they put the link at the bottom. In reality, I just search until I find the "I accept" button. I also hate when they have a bubble you must click on before you hit next. It is a waste of five seconds. The point I am trying to make is that the designers are projecting their feelings on to the users. The main point of the book is to bring the users into your mind, not your mind into the users. Empathy.

Aero Windwalker said:

The only reason for they putting that information just make sure they do not have responsiblity for everything you do online.

Christina Celona said:

I don't think anyone ever reads those little user agreement things. But the companies need to have them there so they're safe from being sued if the user somehow uses whatever-it-is to, like, blow up his computer. (Can you tell I know -so- much about this stuff?) It may be annoying to us, but I understand why it's there.