Got Sanity?

Wow. Although the title of this IF intrigued me, because I knew prior to playing that Bedlam was an insane asylum in London years ago, I figured this would have an eerie feeling to it. It did...sort of. To tell you the truth, I didn't get very far...and I played for more than an hour. As soon as I got stuck, which was in the main hospital wing, I utilized my newly discovered searching abilities on the web to track down a useful walkthrough. The walkthrough was slightly different from the ones I usually use when playing console games, such as Halo or Gears of War (yes, I'm a girl who's a sucker for a good shooter game...). Nevertheless, I followed the directions provided, and soon I was on my way.

To tell you the truth, I don't think I would have been able to progress very far without the walkthrough. It told me to "push the emerald," something I probably never would have thought of. I guess that's part of the game though, using as many verbs as possible. The walkthrough gave me all these directions concerning the triage, which I'm assuming is just a mini robot that gives information concerning the hospital and its patients.

In another room in the hospital, I was able to view a few of the rooms in the hospital. Most of them appeared to be in a disasterly state. Walls crumbling. Dirt. Dust. A mess. One room, was partially still intact, and in this room, the walls were covered in writing. The walkthrough led me in the appropriate direction to see the room in person, rather than through the virtual blueprints. I could make out some of the words, "chld" meant "child," for example. But, I also used Triage to analyze the writings, but I had a really hard time understanding the code that triage spits back at the user. It seemed as confusing as the writing on the walls.

When I was led into the Archieves room, the walkthrough gave me a code to enter into triage to view the notes taken for a specific patient--the inhabitant of the room with the writings on the wall. I took my time to read each page of the diary concerning the patient, which was actually pretty interesting. This section was probably the best part that I encountered, because it reminded me of the twist on Alice in Wonderland: American McGee's Alice. In this game, the user is a different version of Alice, who had survived a fire that killed her parents. She was placed in an asylum and escapes to Wonderland, which isn't very wonderful anymore.

After leaving the hospital, I followed the walkthrough to the cab, but the walkthrough said "get key" before entering the car. I said "get key" but the computer didn't see one. This was where I got stuck. In order to progress according to the walkthorugh, I needed to have an iron key to open a door on Fleet Street (which reminded me of Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber on Fleet Street...wonder why...)

So, basically, even though I didn't get very far in the hour, I still learned a lot about the game. It was a lot more literary than the other ones we've done, but I still enjoyed it. What did everyone else think?