Almost done!!

I'm so excited to say that I've almost completed my IF game. Although I haven't included a lot of synonyms yet, the rest of the game--content wise, is pretty good. But, I do have one problem. I included two animals in my game for two puzzels, but as of right now, I can't seem to get them to accept the actions that I need for the puzzels. I need them to take items when I give them to them, and I also need to be able to *take* the one animal to a person for the puzzel. Can anyone help me? I'm really at a loss. The game doesn't even come up as an error or anything, so my coding is okay. The only problem is, for example, when I say "give meat to beast" the game responds with "It doesn't seem interested." The same goes for when I try to take the beast. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Other than that, I'm pretty confident in my game. I'm probably going to add a few more items before Beta Release, but otherwise, it's pretty well formulated and easily navigated...

Jessie, I'd suggest that you try this:

Instead of giving the meat to the beast:
say "The beast gobbles it up.";
remove the meat from play.

David Wilbanks said:

And if you want the beast to follow you, I have no idea how to do that. BUT, if it's a parakeet or something that's carryable, you could have it be removed from the game, and replaced with an object by a similar name, which you can then take wherever you need to take it. Here's a sample that worked okay, though I'm not positive it's exactly what you want to do:

The whatever is a room. "It's awesome and has a wild parakeet in it. Steve's parakeet sanctuary is to the north."
The wild is in the whatever.
The storage is a room.
The docile is in the storage.
After printing the name of the docile: say " Parakeet".
The wild is an animal.
After printing the name of the wild: say " Parakeet".
Understand "wild parakeet" as wild.
The player is carrying meat.

Instead of giving the meat to the wild: Now the wild is in the storage; remove the meat from play; now the docile is in the whatever; say "After eating the meat the parakeet becomes so docile that it looks as if you could just walk over to it and pick it up."
Understand "docile parakeet" or "parakeet" as docile.

The other is north of the whatever. "There is a sign for Steve's Parakeet Sanctuary here."
Steve is a man in the other.
Instead of giving the docile to steve: remove the docile from play; Now the wild is in the other; say "The seemingly docile parakeet doesn't seem to like steve. As soon as you hand it to him, it pecks his eyes out, and perches on a high up branch in a tree I'm not bothered to program in."

Hope this helps a bit.

Dave Wilbanks said:

I actually thought of another way to do it. Instead of replacing it with an action, you can give it a condition. (Make sure there are at least 3 or Inform 7 seems to become upset) Then you can make it so that the animal can be picked up only when it is in a certain condition. Also, if you have an instead command for picking it up, make sure you include "now the player is carrying the whatever;" so that the game will actually let you pick up an animal. Here's another sample:

The player is carrying meat.
The cave is a room. "It's a terrifying cave, with a really, really, really vicious monster in it."
The monster is an animal in the cave. A monster can be vicious, dead or cuddly.
The monster is vicious.
Before printing the name of the monster: say "[monster condition] ".
The description of the monster is "It's really, really, really [monster condition]."

Instead of giving meat to the monster: say "It devours it, and instantly becomes far less vicious."; Change the monster to cuddly.

Instead of taking monster when the monster is vicious: say "It nearly devours you.";

Instead of taking monster when the monster is cuddly: now the player is carrying the monster; say "You pick up the incredibly cuddly monster."

The field is south of the cave.
Tim is in the field.
Tim is a man.

Instead of giving the cuddly monster to Tim: say "Upon seeing Tim, the monster leaps from your hands, becoming angry once again."; change the monster to vicious;

Thank you both for the suggestions. I figured out what Dr. Jerz meant and that worked fine, but I think I'm gonna wait until class tomorrow to try what you said, David. It seems really complicated, and I don't want to mess it up. Thanks a bunch!

Thank you both for your suggestions. They were both helpful. I used Dr. Jerz's suggestion first, and that worked just like I needed. And then I tried the conditions thing, and that worked even better. Now my game's really shaping up! Thanks so much!