I'm thinking too much...Krug review

Although Don't Make Me Think! by Steve Krug did touch on some of the same issues covered in Crawford Kilian's Writing for the Web 3.0, I still enjoyed Krug's book, because he went more in-depth concerning not only how to write for the web, but also how to present information on the web.

While reading this book, I found that I was unknowingly doing a lot of the stuff mentioned in his book. And, now that I'm aware of my actions, I do it even more. Krug stresses the importance of thinking so that our useers do not have to. According to Krug, users see a small fragment of what is actually on the page, and as soon as they become frustrated, which can happen rather quickly on a *busy* web page, they hit that imfamous *back* button and search elsewhere in cyberspace.

Krug uses multiple examples of existing websites to prove his points in the book. Surprisingly, most of his information remains evident today, even though the book was published eight years ago. He frequently uses Amazon as a reference, and judging by Amazon's popularity to this day, Krug's idea of what works really does work.

I stand by what I said before. All students could benefit from reading this book, not only because they never know where their careers might lead them in the online world, but also because while in college, knowing what to look for on a website (especially a college website for grad school?) is much more time efficient.

My final thought is: It's been 8 years since Krug came out with the first edition of his book, and by now, you'd think that more corporations would be paying attention to what he has to say. Sure, he might not be the most well-known author in the world of Corporate America, but surely some of the new technical writers out there recognize his name. Having said that, why don't more websites have usability testing, or an obvious place on their pages where users can leave feedback about a website.

This book has helped me to see what works and what fails miserable. Unfortunately, my ability to identify those problems isn't going to recitfy most, if any of them, so part of me feels like, unless I "grow up" to be a writer for a website (I would much rather realize my dreams as a big-shot magazine editor living the life in NYC), I don't think this book is going to get me much farther than it already has. Sure, I'll keep in mind what he said about removing useless & excess words, but besides that, what can I do to contribute to the growing community of bad websites?

Back to the future...

Daniella Choynowski said:

Krug actually wrote about how to implement his own suggestions, whereas Killian's book was more instructional.

You've made a good point about the uses of this book. While I'd rather waitress the rest of my life than be a web designer, I can take from Krug suggestions on how to navigate a website.

Reading Krug's book made me more aware of just how terrible some websites are. This book is almost a decade old-why haven't the companies took notice yet and usability tested? Especially FAFSA, because some people don't go to college because of the form difficulty. Usability is affecting people's futures, and I'm shocked that a government as "intelligent" as ours has not opened their eyes and improved financial aid application