King Arthur Lives Again--my IF game progress

I've always been a fan of videogames, and even though Interactive Fiction isn't as complex as Fable 2, I can't help but be interested in creating my own adventure game.

One of the games that inspired me to create this game was Voices of Spoonriver (I couldn't find the webpage that I used before to play the game, but I will update this blog once I find it.), based on Edgar Lee Master's book Spoon River Anthology.

Photopia also inspires me. I acknowledge that my game will not be nearly as detailed as Photopia, but I like some of the aspects of this game a lot--especially how the game jumps from location to location abruptly. I wouldn't want to do exactly that, but I think it will come in handy due to my involvement with Merlyn in the story.

I've chosen to model my IF game after T.H. White's The Sword and the Stone. In my IF game, I plan to focus primarily on Arthur's education under the guidance of Merlyn, with the end of the game involving Arthur pulling Excalibur from the stone.

My game will be full of richly detailed descriptions and some dialogue with Merlyn.

Depending on how complex I can make the story, I might include a sub-plot involving King Pellinore, the king who is cursed to pursue a creature forever in a cursed forest.

So far, I've started writing a brief plot overview, and I have an idea in my head of how many rooms I will include in the game. I do have a few concerns that I fear might lead to obstacles:

• Dialogue with Merlyn
  • Transforming Arthur into a bird and then back into a human
  • preventing users from skipping Arthur's education and heading straight for London to take the sword from the stone

Other than these few problems, I don't think I should have too much trouble creating this IF game. I guess the test will be whether or not I can time manage, because I guarentee this is going to be a rather time-consuming project.

Everyone else has so awesome projects too!

Jed Fetterman said:

I also want to have dialogue in my game. I wish I could offer you some help with it, but I do not know what I am doing either. As far as keeping people in the area, I think that you just put a couple if clauses in there. I know Dr. Jerz sent out an e-mail with a similar scenario.

Christina Celona said:

Wow, I'm really impressed! You've got a pretty ambitious project. I'm not the best at IF programming, otherwise I would offer more advice.

I know that there is a way to prevent the player from leaving for London ahead of time, but I'm not completely sure how it's done. I once played a game where a certain path was invisible until a certain quest was completed and the path suddenly became apparent. I think it may have been connected to the number of points I had gained.

Another idea (just making stuff up here) would be when the player completes their education, give them an object that they will need to be carrying in their inventory in order to be admitted into London. Otherwise, they get turned away at the gate.

I hope that helps!

Daniella Choynowski said:

There is a way from preventing players from skipping ahead and requiring them to engage in the dialogue. I just created a game where the same thing happens. You can program things to happen only if the player does something for the 1st time, 2nd time, etc.

And certain things can happen if the player visits a place [if visited]-is the command

If you need any help on the dialogue sections, I can help you. There's actually a table you can create in the source section of subjects the player can ask the other about and responses you want the other to have.

here's a couple of commands that might help:

1)

Instead of ___________ for the first time:
say "insert something you want to happen here."

2)

;
wait for any key;
(tab over)say "_______"
-this one's good for exposition-maybe if you wanted to explain a conversation or character's background.

3)

Instead of taking something in the presence of______, say "insert a response that prevents the player from using items and prompts an interaction."

You've all been so helpful. Thank you so much! I figured that there would have to be a way to do it, but I wasn't sure. I guess it's similar to creating a locked door, only without a key.