Broadcast Journalism = A Joke? Affirmative.

Few reporters today are hired with an academic background or industry experience--other than broadcast journalism. Most of them move from city to city every two or three years as they move up in their careers to larger markets and better pay. So the experience they finally gain in learning a community is often lost because of this movement.

The more I read, the more broadcast journalism disgusts me. This particular section makes me sad more than anything else. I mean, going into the New Media Journalism major, I always knew that I would probably need to travel in order to find a decent job, but I just think this is ridiculous. Moving every two-three years? What's that statistic concerning how many times the average American will change jobs? I think it's seven to ten. SEVEN to TEN. That's ridiculous. Maybe if these people would actually try to apply themselves and take some extra time to utilize the experience they gain. Don't get me wrong, I'm just as eager as the next journalist to make my name known out there, but it really bothers me that most of these broadcast journalists legitimately aren't journalists. I always thought the way they talk and sort-of nod their heads was REALLY annoying, and now that I know it's all part of the act, it REALLY bugs me...
That being said, this essay was really informative, and if nothing else, I don't feel so bad for never wanting to be a broadcast journalist. Everytime I tell people that I'm majoring in Journalism, the first thing they say is "Oh, maybe I'll see you on tv someday." And I always correct them by just saying I don't like being filmed or public speaking or whatever, but now...NOW I have actual ammunition to fight my battles with...get ready boys, this could get ugly...

Changing a job seven to ten times has to be horrible. As humans, we are naturally resistant to change and become comfortable with something very easily. I can't imagine having to move that much. And I think I'm stressed out. Imagine moving to a completely new place and learning a new city/town about every seven years. Wow that would be bad and certainly not a good job to have if you ever plan on having kids. They'll have to constantly be making new friends.

I cannot imagine changing jobs that much. Actually, that fact didn't even register with me when I read Byron's piece, so I'm glad you blogged about it. Also, I've always found the way reporters mindlessly nod their heads like bobble head dolls annoying as well. Now...Well, now it's at least a little funny. Like someone is standing behind the camera mouthing, "Nod *more*, look interested...emote."

As I read everyone's blogs about this, the thing that keeps on coming up in my mind is that broadcast journalism isn't so much journalism as it is show business. In a way, these people are a whole lot like actors, who unless they're on TV don't have a constant, steady job but are always auditioning for the next thing and going wherever the work takes them. In a similar way, broadcast TV news has smaller markets and bigger markets and anchors aspire to work their way up to the bigger markets (equivalent to something like New York or LA in the acting world). This is really what that profession is, it seems. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with non-journalists anchoring the news; you need people who are going to read news copy in a way that really communicates to an audience. It's not really that different from voice actors using their talent to read copy in a commercial. It's just that we should probably acknowledge these people are performers and not buy into the hype that they're the ones actually doing the investigating.

I feel the same way about broadcast journalism. I've never wanted my face out there, just my name. And I don't watch news TV because its filled with violence, negativity, and speed.

Just remember that this essay was written (as good as it is and as much as I agree with it) by a very biased journalist.