Dying is an art

Dying

Is an art, like everything else.

I do it exceptionally well.

I do it so it feels like hell.

I do it so it feels real.

I guess you could say I've a call.

-Sylvia Plath, "Lady Lazarus" pg 239

I can't remember ever reading Plath in high school--and to be honest, I'm not surprised that she was never covered--no because she's not a fantastic poet, but mostly because of the topics of her poetry--suicide and the holocaust. I could understand covering something about the holocaust, but at my high school, we didn't do much with suicide. We didn't even have a memorial service when a boy commited suicide my junior year--they just sort of brushed it under the rug and told kids to go see the counselors if we needed help.

Now I can get back on track. I picked these two stanzas, not because I understand them (I can't say that I really understand any of her poetry), but because I like what she said in lines 43-45. "Dying is an art." I'd agree with that. I've never attempted suicide, nor would I ever (I'm too selfish) but I can definiately see where Plath is coming from. There are so many ways someone could commit suicide--in fact, it frightens me. There are whole websites online dedicated to teaching people how to commit suicide (though I've never had the desire to visit them).

This poem really does speak to me, even though I'm missing a lot of the symbolism. As far as I can tell, this poem is a cry for help, but there are a lot of stanzas that just seem random to me. Like I've said in class, analyzing poetry is not my favorite thing in the world...