Ex 1: The News and I

My relationship with the news is a strange one. As a reporter for the Setonian, I almost always write news stories, not because I enjoy writing news articles, but rather, because I am good at writing them. I don't mean to sound arrogant--I only mean that I learned the basic news writing skills my junior year of high school, and when I became the copy editor during my senior year, the Associated Press Stylebook became my best friend by default.

Even though I play an active role in the creation of the Setionian by writing articles and sometimes copy editing them, I am almost ashamed to say that I rarely pick up the daily paper. I prefer magazines to newspapers (which is fortunate for me in a way, because newspapers are slowly dying out).

I have a love-hate relationship with tv news. I never watch the evening news, because it usually makes me sad--the only tv news shows I actually enjoy are on Comedy Central, The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, and usually those are minimally informative.

I can't say that the news isn't part of my daily life. At home, my parents watch MSNBC every night, so it usually serves as background noise while I work on my homework. If something catches my ear, I'll stop what I'm doing to watch a segment of the news, but for the most part, I get the majority of my news from my mom, who reads a lot of internet news articles after she comes home from work. If there is something going on in the world of news that I find interesting, I'm more likely to jump on my laptop and google it than I am to watch broadcasters discuss it on tv.

My relationship with news is kind of a rocky one. It has its ups and downs. During the 2008 election, I watched the news every night with my parents--mostly because I wanted to be an informed college student, and also because I was ecstatic to vote in my first Presidential election. However, even the news about the upcoming election got old for me after a while. I just lost interest in it.

After analyzing my relationship with news, I have deduced that I barely have a relationship with it at all despite my desire to work in the field of reporting news. It's almost ironic that a journalism major has such little interest in news. But, at the same time, I feel like this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just because I do not enjoy reading or writing the news does not mean I do not value it. And, I honestly believe that news writing is an essential skill that today's journalists cannot live without. Perhaps, as I grow older and more informed, I'll find a new appreciation for the news, but for now, I'll just settle with my limited relationship.