Structure, My dear Watson, Structure...is key

Each narrative or drama has a unique structure. Some stories may be structured according to simple geography or room arrangements...A story may unfold in an apparently accidental way, with characters making vital discoveries about major characters...

--Roberts Chapter 5, pg 101

Prior to reading this chapter, I never really put much thought into the structure of a story, but after reading this, it really makes sense. When I read this book, I always find myself thinking back to books I've already read, especially The Time Traveler's Wife. Structure was key in that one. Like the point of view aspect of the story, without the structure of this story, Niffinegger would've lost her readers on the opening pages. But enough about that book. In terms of Hardy piece we had to read for class, structure was essential--during the first read, most readers would never pick up on the fact that the first stranger is the baddie, but after reading the surprise ending, I'm sure that, like me, many of my peers went back to find some of the clues that led up to the conclusion. Even the point when the crisis arrives in the story is essential. If the author waits too long, readers will lose interest, but then again, they might also lose interest if the crisis arrives too soon. When I think about mysteries and suspense pieces--whether they're movies or books, I really see the importance of structure. On slight change could give everything away. The more I read this book, the more I realize that there's a lot about literature that I still don't know, even though I've been analyzing it for as long as I can remember. But I welcome this knowledge, because I know it's going to make me a stronger writer, as well as reader.