Two lines can change everything

This thou perceiv'st, which mkes thy love more strong.
To love that well, which thou must leave ere long.

--"Sonnet 73" Roberts, 103

I'll confess that I snooped on a few of my classmates' blogs before reading the poem or writing my own entry. I feel no shame in admitting it, though, because it really helped me to better understand the poem. Like Aja, I have always had a difficult time interpreting Shakespeare. It's not that I totally dislike him--Julius Caesar was one of my favorite plays that I read in high school--I just have a difficult time finding the deeper meaning. But, like Jess said in her entry, the more times you read him, the easier it is to understand what he's trying to say. The man really is a master with words.
I really liked what Jess said about this poem dealing with everlasting love. I'm not sure I would have picked up on that on my own, so in that respect, I'm really happy I read her blog before I read the poem. And I also associate autumn with death, because winter follows autumn, and at that time, everything is either asleep or dead. But Billy kind of throws me off with the ending couplet. If that couplet wasn't there, I think the whole meaning of the poem would be different. Sunsets and autumn and even the mention of Death all make me think that maybe the relationship is dying, but then he goes and says that whoever the speaker is talking to's love is strong for the speaker. This just goes to show that two simple lines can totally throw a reading off...Like Aja, sometimes I just don't get poetry...