Liberal Arts to the Rescue

1. The world reporters are being asked to cover today is vastly more complicated than it was a decade or two past. Business, science, finance, the environment, urban development, health care, geriatrics, land use, technology and demographics are just some of the areas in which reporters have to be more knowledgeable.
2. While most journalism schools require students to take about 75% of their courses in the liberal arts and sciences, faculty advisers often fail to help students make the connection between a rigorous liberal arts emphasis and the knowledge required to cover complex news topics with authority.

--Haiman, pg 24

Although I found the stuff about anonymous sources really interesting, what really caught me in this assigned reading was the stuff about a liberal arts education. Dr. Jerz has talked about this several times in class. One of my biggest fears for when I go out in to the "real" journalism world is what will happen once I'm not allowed to plan my own stories anymore. Although the Setonian editors assign stories for me, they're usually about topics that I have at least basic knowledge about. 
When I think about my future, my ideal job would be a reporter for a video game magazine or something else with media. However, I'm being realistic when I say that I doubt I'll end up writing for a videogame magazine, at least not at first. How will I cover stories about subjects I know nothing about? Despite my constant fear, I do take comfort in the fact that Seton Hill has already prepared me in so many ways for my future. When I choose my classes for my liberal arts requirements, I always try to find ones that not only interest me, but ones that I also feel will benefit me as a journalist. 
For example, last semester, I took Images of Jesus in Film for my theology credit. This class was more than simply watching a different Christ-figure film each week. We were encouraged to find deeper symbology in each movie and even watched some really popular movies (although others I'd never heard of), such as Chocolat and The Last Temptation of Christ. After taking this course, I really felt like I had a deeper understanding of film analysis. In retrospect, I think that course will help me if I ever need to write a review of a film or book, because of the structure of our essays. 
My theology course wasn't the only class that's prepared me for my future, but I'm not going to waste any more time going into detail. This blog's long enough already. My main point is that, although most students complain about it, the Liberal Arts education is the future of our society. People need to be well-rounded individuals if they hope to accomplish great things someday.

Dianna Griffin said:

Even though I am not planning on becoming a journalist, I have some of the same fears as you. I am planning on becoming a teacher, but since I have to abide by a curriculum, I can't technically do what I want. I understand that there are certain things that students need to learn, but I would like to incorporate things that would be interesting to teach.