Sensory details to the rescue!

Images derived from and referring to taste--gustatory images--are also common, though less frequent than those referring to sight and sound. Lines 5 and 10 of Masefield's "Cargoes," for example, includes references to "sweet white wine" and "cinnamon." Although the poem refers to these commodities as cargoes, the words themselves also register in our minds as gustatory images because they evoke our sense of taste.
--Roberts, Ch. 8

I read Cargoes before I read chapter 8, and I have to admit that I did pick up on the gustatory images in this poem. I really could taste the cinnamon in my mind as I read the poem.

This was probably one of my favorite chapters from Roberts, because I have always been a HUGE fan of imagery and sensory details. It's the whole show vs. tell idea. I'd rather read a detailed sentence about what the flowers smelled and looked like rather than read a bland sentence like "the flowers were gorgeous." That really doesn't do anything for me. With Cargoes,  there were still some moments when it was more show than tell. For example, although Masefield lists specific animals, such as "apes and peacocks" instead of just "animals," it would've been nice to see the background in which they were being held captive. I love a ton of imagery. For me, the more the better. It helps me to paint a picture in my mind, which also allows me to better understand the poetry or prose.