Zombie book Review--Austen is brought back from the dead along with her books!!

In "I Was a Regency Zombie," journalist Jennifer Schuessler reviews Pride Prejudice and Zombies, a twist from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice written by LA television writer Seth Grahame-Smith.

The review doesn't go into too much depth with the plot, but this is probably because two-thirds of the novel are originally from Austen's classic. However, the book also includes "references to monsters, putrefying flesh and ninja swordplay" on just about every page.

The book's aim, according to Schuessler, is to "make Austen safe for audiences--read 'boys'--raised on Mortal Kombat and Evil Dead."

What was surprising was how many quotes were included in this review, from not only the author of the book, but also from critics as well. Schuessler shows both sides of the story here. After Grahame-Smith comments that he thinks Austen would appreciate his novel, Schuessler goes on to give the opinion of a Austen-expert. This was a nice way to review the book since there wasn't much to tell about the plot--most people know at least the basic story of Pride and Prejudice

Basically, Schuessler blends her review on the new zombie novel with a review of traditional Austen works. Schuessler finds a happy medium in this, by comparing the two, and polishes off her review with a small mention of other possible literary pieces in the works based on Austen's masterpieces.

Although the review did not tell the reader a lot about the book, it gives just enough to make them want to read the book. Then again, the name Pride Prejudice and Zombies does draw attention all by itself. Nevertheless, the author of this book review found a way to promote a book whose basic story is already aware to the public. She definitely wrote a very unconventional book review.

The audience for this book review is a bit of a mix. It obviously is aimed towards those "boys" who were raised on violent videogames, but at the same time, it's being aimed towards Austen scholars. Those who appreciate Austen's works should at least give this book a once-over because it gives a different look at one of Austen's most famous pieces. 

Melissa Schwenk said:

I think you’re right that it was a good mix of Jane Austen information with the zombie reform. Without the basis for the story that was the underlining of the book about zombies, the book would not have worked which both you and the reviewer show. I think you also definitely got the aim that it was for a genre that was more than just boys who play video games. Good job. This book drew my attention just because of the cover, but a review that explains the significance of Austen as well as the incorporated theme helps to make me want to read it more.

Jessie Author Profile Page said:

I think the book really could draw an audience for women as well though, if only because it refers to Austen's original work. I first heard about this book from one of my best friends (who's a girl), who heard about it from one of her guy friends. But I have to admit that when she told me about it, I wasn't really turned off, but I wasn't exactly running to the book store to buy the book either. After reading this review though, I actually think it might be worth reading the book. I've tried to read Pride and Prejudice in the past, but I haven't gotten very far. So maybe this book is a great opportunity for people who usually shy away from classics to get that experience...along with some zombies as well.

Brooke Kuehn said:

I am surprised that this book review showed the opinion of critics as well. I usually don't read book reviews because i am afraid they will give away too much of the plot, but the ones i have read never showed the opinion of a critic. They were always one sided: purely the opinion of the writer. This book sounds interesting, not just because of the title, but also from what you said in class. I probably wont ever read a jane austen book unless assigned it in class, but i may give this novel a chance.