Fairness...it's not as easy as you'd think

Reporters should work on developing "fairness skills." The responsibility to take the lead falls to the editors. They should talk about fairness often, both in organized staff meetings and in informal conversations with staff members.

--Haiman pg.59

This section made a lot of sense to me. As I was reading, I did what I always do--I tried to apply this to an experience I've had in the past. When I was a junior in high school, a kid was accused of submitting a bomb threat. The school was wrong--because they didn't turn their clocks forward an hour--something like that. Anyway, the boy in this situation was arrested and put in Juvenile Detention. Long story short, after investigation, it came out that the kid was innocent. Local newspapers covered the story, and when our next issue of  The Royal rolled around, the staff was faced with the decision to cover the story. That was a mistake. The story never made it into our issue, because the girl who wrote the story was a family friend of Webb's and because of that, she had a biased story. But in the long run, I don't think it would've mattered if she'd been the one to write the story or if it had been someone else, because we were a student-run press, and we obviously had bias against Hempfield Administration. 

I'm not about to say that I am immune to being unfair...there have been plenty of occasions when I've written articles that only show one side of the story. It wasn't sloppy journalism skills, it was just that I didn't understand when I was younger why fairness is so important.

This reminds me of my high school where we would chose a side for an editorial and then be assigned the opposite side and have to write about it for our page.

I remember finally seeing the opposite side to the popular debate of school uniforms.