Get over it.

Mrs. Popov: I vowed to wear mourning to my grave and not to see the light of day...Do you hear me? May his departed spirit see how much I love him...Yes, I know, it's no mystery to you that he was often mean to me, cruew...and even unfaithful, but I shall remain true to the grave and show him I know how to love. There, beyond the grave, he will see me as I was before his death...

--Chekov, in Roberts, pg 385

Really? I couldn't believe what I was reading. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. She's gotta be insane. I can understand mourning for the loss of a loved one, but vowing to never see the light of day again? Come on, let's get serious now. I don't know of anyone who loves me who would actually condone this sort of behavior while they are still alive, so what makes it okay to do it after they die?

She needs a reality check. She's really hurting the image of her husband by vowing to never get over his death, because even though he was cruel to here, if he really loved her, he'd want her to be happy--he'd want her to move on.

EL 237

Maybe back in the day that was comendable, but he also cheated on her a lot apparently. I agree. It really seems that she's trying to make up for his cheating or one-up this dead guy. She's got to get over that she's been scorned and move on, which is kind of what she did in the end.

Jessie Author Profile Page said:

I just don't understand how she thinks she's hurting him by staying faithful to him. I get that she's trying to say, "look, I'm a better wife than you were ever a husband," but he obviously didn't care while they were in the marriage, so why would he start now? I was really glad to see her move on at the end of the play, even if it did seem a little abrupt.

I agree that she was trying to be spiteful. There are two ways to look at this so it makes sense, though. In one way, let's say she believes her husband can see her. Now she thinks that she's going to make him feel guilty because even after death, she's loyal. I agree Jessie, this isn't precisely logical, but sometimes when you're grieving and angry, I guess you wouldn't make sense. The other way to look at it is that she doesn't believe he can see what's going on, and she's doing this to make herself feel better. Basically it would convince her that, yes, she did waste her life on a man who treated her like scum, but she's such a great, self-sacrificing person that she is still loyal to that jerk, even after he dies.
I'm not saying I think this is smart or anything, but I think her frame of mind is not "I loved him so much I'll be loyal for ever", but rather, "I'm going to show everyone how great I am."