Christmas Carol Assumptions

Then, with a rapidity of transition very foreign to his usual character, he said, in pity for his former self, 'Poor boy.' and cried again.
'I wish,' Scrooge muttered, putting his hand in his pocket and looking about him, after drying his eyes with his cuff: 'but it's too late now.'
'What is the matter?' asked the Spirit.
'Nothing,' said Scrooge. 'Nothing There was a boy singing a Christmas Carol at my door last night. I should like to have given him something: that's all.'
The Ghost smiled thoughtfully, and waved its hand: saying as it did so, 'Let us see another Christmas!'

This was a very important part for Scrooge, in that the readers finally begin to see a change in his attitude. He's finally becoming remorseful for his future actions. Up until now, he's still been, well, a Scrooge, I guess. But then finally starts to see things from the opposite perspective. It's a nice start.

In class Monday (yeah, I'm blogging a little late, my bad), we talked about the fact that this book is basically the start of science fiction in that it involves time travel. When I was a kid and watched the old Disney and Muppet adaptations of A Christmas Carol, I'm not sure I ever really got that he was actually time traveling, and to be honest, I'm still not sure I agree with that assumption. Who's to say that he didn't just dream the whole thing up? It's a likely story. It certainly fits in with reality a little better than time travel or spirits. But I guess that really isn't what's important here, now is it?

Dianna Griffin said:

I always kind of took it as a dream sequence because he always ends up in his bed after everything happens. He also happens to be falling out of bed as well, but I never really considered it time traveling until now actually. So, I guess I too have a different view on things.

Jessie Author Profile Page said:

That's one of the reasons I was so pleased with finally reading this novel. We've seen so many different interpretations that we all have our own biases towards specific adaptations. By reading the actual novel, we're a lot closer to understanding A Christmas Carol now than we ever could be by watching any of the film adaptations.