Happy Ending for All

Scrooge was better than his word. He did it all, and infinitely more; and to Tiny Tim, who did not die, he was a second father. He became as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew, or any other good old city, town, or borough, in the good old world. SOme people laughed to see the alteration in him, but he let them laugh, and little heeded them; for he was wise enough to know that nothing ever happened on his globe, for good, at which some people did not have their fill of laughter in the outset; and knowing that such as these would be blind anyway, he thought it quite as well that they should wrinkle up their eyes in grins, as have the malady in less attractive forms. His own heart laughed; and that was quite enough for him.

So all ends well in the world of Scrooge and company. I have to say, first of all, that when I saw A Christmas Carol on the list of required texts, a little part of me died inside. It's not that I dislike Dickens (okay, that's not entirely true); it's just that my only other experience with Dickens was A Tale of Two Cities in my Honors English 9 class. I can tell you what happened in the first and third books...don't ask me what happened in the middle book, because sparknotes were my friend for a bit there. There's just something about the way that book was written, I dunno, it just put me to sleep...but I was fine in the beginning and at the end. In fact, I enjoyed reading those parts...
Okay, so here's the point I'm trying to make before I ramble too much as usual. I actually enjoyed reading A Christmas Carol. And not just because it's Christmastime either--if anything, that would make me dislike it even more, because I already am a bit of a Scrooge myself--I tend to think that all the Holidays mean anymore is another example of corporate greed. But anyway, I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised when I read this book. And I also have to admit that the film adaptations are good for kids, but they don't do the book justice (as usual).