Personal Blogs--Public Diaries

While I can see the value of them, I don't want the hazzle of maintaining and editing a blog where I need to check to see what others have written into it. I treasure my peaceful little slog on the net.

--Mortensen

After reading both Dr. Jerz's blog concerning Mortensen and Mortensen's entry No Personal Touch, I feel slightly relieved. Before SHU, I never had any desire to have a blog (some journalist, right?), but then Dr. Jerz created my own weblog. But, unlike some of the blogs my friends hold, this blog has a real purpose--an academic one. While we occasionally get comments from non-classmates, for the most part, these entries are exclusively for our classmates to discuss. I'm not sure I agree with Mortensen that all of our blogs lack a personal touch, but I can see where she's coming from. At the same time, I still feel like personal blogs are more like public diaries, but I suppose that if you were to choose a specfic topic to only blog about, then you might be able to avoid that tendency. I've been throwing around the idea for a while of creating a blog dedicated to only reviewing various media that I encounter, whether it be new books, movies, video games or something else. 

Much of the early scholarship on blogging focused almost exclusively on the public diary/confessional/emoting function of blogs, without paying a whole lot of attention to other kinds, such as an academic or professional blog. (And by the way, Mortensen co-authored the first academic article to mention weblogs.)

Blogging and other forms of social networking make our relationships and pecking orders visible; competing for links, or "friends," or counting the number of comments you collect has a game-like quality to it.

Once youth culture claimed social networking as "their" space, I sort of had to re-jigger the way I approach class blogging, so that students didn't expect me to have to pour their hearts out in public, and so that students who simply poured out their hearts wouldn't confuse that with engaging intellectually with the readings.

I'm glad to hear your thoughts on blogging, and I'm glad I threw in that link to Torill's blog.

Jessie Author Profile Page said:

I don't want you to think that I don't like blogging, Dr. Jerz. It was just not something I ever considered trying before coming to SHU. I see a lot more merit in a blog like our academic ones than a personal one. I still feel like some of those blogs are just for narcissistic people, but I don't feel the same way about intellectuals' blogs. If I were to create a personal blog, I'd probably try to give it a theme and I would try to avoid the typical tendencies of a personal blog--I'd try REALLY hard not to just complain about stuff--at least, not without backing it up with substantial evidence.