Thank you Laurel!

Saying no again--this time to movies and games that provide the illusion of personal power through violence--is more likely to lead to classroom shootings and suicides than so-called violent media. The answer for our kids and our culture is not "no" as a default response. Socially responsible people must take up the challenge of creating games and movies and stories that both engage and nurture young people.

--Laurel, pg 9

I wonder if Laurel is sitting back, patting herself on the back for acknowledging this nine years ago. Although game designers and programmers should be held responsible for the content they provide for gamers, I also feel like that's what ratings are for. If a game is rated M for Mature, there's a reason for that, and it's up to parents to enforce those rules. There are just some games that should not be played by youngsters, boys or girls, like GTA...Why should video game companies take all the responsibility?

If it is popular, it is bad for you; if it is bad for you, it is probably popular.

--Laurel 11

I'm not sure how I feel about this statement. I guess the whole "junk food only tastes so good because it's bad for you" could apply to this statement, but at the same time, there are a lot of things that are popular that improve your life. Take books, for example. Sure they're not nearly as popular as video games, but they're popular nonetheless.

Given all these barriers, who knew if girls and women would play computer games or not? Were there intrinsic gender differences that caused females to be repelled by computer games? How should we understand the exceptions--games that attracted a higher than usual percentage of female players, like Mario Brothers, Tetris, and Myst?

--Laurel 23

It's funny Laurel should mention these three games specifically. From my childhood, I can remember my mom playing all three of these--along with a handful of others, but Mario and Tetris have remained two of her favorites of all time. It really fascinates me that more girls and women were not interested in games back then. Although I grew up playing "girl" games like the Interactive Barbie games, I also grew up playing games like Donkey Kong Country  and Super Mario. I guess I just fit into that exception. I'm really glad Laurel took such a risk creating Purple Moon and Rockette. Even though her company fell through, Laurel opened up so many doors for female gamers. Before reading this, I'd never heard of Purple Moon or its video games, which surprises me--I guess I was just too hung up on Barbie to notice other games. But more importantly, why did the company fall through? Just because it didn't make enough money for its investors?