Thanks for the Good Advice!

The art of personal storytelling is still alive in some ethnic and regional cultures, and the practice of live storytelling as concert-style entertainment has gained popularity in recent years. 

--Laurel, pg. 61

It's a shame that personal story telling isn't what it used to be. Sometimes I feel like it's a lost art. I still find a lot of entertainment in listening to my elderly grandmothers tell me stories about their youth and experiences raising my parents. Even personal narratives and autobiographies aren't what they used to be. People don't talk to each other like they used to--they'd much rather bond while watching a television show. How long is it going to be before the art of personal storytelling completely dies out? Or is it being revamped in the form of Facebook and Twitter statuses? Surely those are forms of story-telling just like Laurel says "weblogs" are.

[W]hen people aren't well-informed, they're likely to wake up one morning to find their government--and their lives--don't belong to them any more.

--Laurel,pg. 68

When I read this sentence, I couldn't help but think about the 2008 election. So many of my friends were completely uninformed or didn't care enough to even vote. It completely throws me that there are people out there who don't care about the direction our country goes in. At the same time, I'm not sure the general public has a whole lot of control in where our country goes, but if you aren't well-informed, you don't have a right to even be angry with the government because you never really did anything to try to help make it a better system.

Business innovation is as important as technological invention.

--Laurel, pg. 93

She's got an excellent point here. Why bother with technological advances if we don't have the means to market them and inform the public of the latest and greatest? Without innovation, invention wouldn't even exist. The two really do go hand-in-hand.

Susan Carmichael said:

I enjoyed your post. I agree that personal story telling is like a lost art. It is the same way with ethnic music; it is not being passed down through the generations nor recorded. I think that people still talk but just electronically. It is amazing that some people can conduct their lives without every talking to a live person. What will happen when they need actually need to?

Jessie Author Profile Page said:

That's a good question. In today's era, parents tease their kids for spending so much time texting. My parents text me now more than they call me, but if it's really important, we still call each other. I think it was a lot easier to actually talk to people in our parents generations because they didn't have cell phones or Facebook to get in touch with people. They had to actually call people on the house phone, or visit them at their houses. In a lot of ways, text messaging and facebook have made people a lot less personal than they used to be, and I'm still not sure if that's a good thing or not.