War & Peace

Games are immersive, which means that they are capable of transporting users into compelling virtual environments. They are intensely engaging, provoking states of intense concentration that can last for hours on end. They foster intense identification between players and game characters, and they are interactive media that dynamically modify content in response to use actions.

--Delwiche in A Players' Realm, pg. 95

I've heard before that war games do encourage both young men and women to enlist in the army, because players get so lost in these games. Although I would never enlist in the army, I'll admit that I feel a different kind of rush in a FPS than I do in an adventure game. I definitely agree that these games can be used for propaganda--the more realistic these games become the more they'll resemble actual combat. It's different to play games that take place in WWII and other old wars than it is to play ones that refer to today's wars, because in games based on older wars, we're learning history too.

It kind of bothers me that the U.S. is using a video game to elicit propaganda to our society. We play plenty of war video games; how is this experience different from a game created specifically to encourage enlistment? Furthermore, I feel like the U.S. is taking advantage of a new fad--but I guess that's a given, isn't it?