Lessons Learned

| No Comments
Welcome to my midterm porfolio for EL 405--New Media Projects. This portfolio serves as a way for me to not only showcase all of the work I've done this semester but to allow my peers to view and "play" with my projects. At this point in our semester, we have completed the introductory section of all three projects: Scratch, Inform 7 and Html Web App coding. 

Scratch

This program was developed by a team of students and professors at MIT. Ideally, it is used to educate youngsters to create simple games and other programs in a fun and interactive format. You use puzzle pieces. Our class learned this program as an alternate way of coding. It allowed us to be pretty creative. For my scratch project, I created a multi-level mouse maze for users to navigate through. In my final project, the game consisted of a tutorial level, plus three playable levels. I created more challenges for gamers by including "evil" sprites which ended the game when the user's sprite came in contact with them.

Here's the part where my blog's title comes into play. All semester, Dr. Jerz has been telling us to back up our work. And I have been--to an extent. I had some older versions of my project on the school computer but kept the final version on a flash drive...which I somehow managed to lose right before midterms. So, the version I've uploaded to the scratch website is functional and well programmed; however, the majority of the evil sprites I included in my revision are not there. I didn't have time to recode such a large portion of my game, but I plan to do so later this evening if not by the end of Friday.


Here are my previous blogs for this section.

Mouse! Scratch Portolio has screenshots from my finished version of the project...


Inform 7

This was not my first experience with Inform 7. For those unfamiliar, it's a program that allows its users to create text-adventure or interactive fiction games. For my project, I decided to create a murder mystery with multiple endings. My usability testing for this project was the most successful out of the other projects, because I have a tendency to overlook mistakes in my own writing (don't we all). Some of the more complicated coding I mastered in this project was creating something "under the bed" and also creating something "inside a drawer." For full details, please read my blog entries:


 

 
HTML

As our most recent project, we learned basic html coding with a twist--Dr. Jerz asked us to create some web apps. He suggested that if we didn't have a project in mind, we could create an online portfolio. But, my plan was much more ambitous. I decided to create a mock-version of a Setonian Online app, which we will later use for the actual website. Before I dove into the project, however, I took my time looking at other news apps so I could find a happy medium. Although I still have a ton of work to do to finish this project (it's going to be my final project as well). Please note that the site I've uploaded does not have all of its links active. Home, News, A&E and the Lucy Snyder story are the only pages active at the moment.


Blogs:



Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Jessie published on October 14, 2010 10:08 AM.

HTML Unit Portfolio was the previous entry in this blog.

Scratch Revision Portfolio is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux